Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vignettes #2




At school my friend Mac set himself a mission to become friends with every kid in the class.

He was very successful, and there were only Arno and Herbert left who hadn't agreed upon friendship yet. I told Max that I knew them both well and that they hated his guts, so it was no use trying to convince them.

Max disagreed and said: "There's absolutely no reason anybody should hate me! It is a necessity to be on good terms with everyone in your environment."

All four of us had more or less the same way home from school, and Max decided to make a finally bid for their friendship. He ordered me mot to interfere, so I let the three of them walk ahead of me. I watched and heard Max pleading and begging and even offering guests, and the other two mocking him into making even larger gift promises. At one point on the way they went around a corner, so I lost their sight for a few minutes.

By the time I turned around the corner Arno and Herbert were already quite a ways ahead. But Max was there tied to the pole of a street sign with the strings of his own jacket. So I had to untie him.

The next day Max started his endeavour anew.

No comments: