Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Indeterminacy 88


“Cultivate in yourself a grand similarity
with the chaos of the surrounding ether.
Unloose your mind and set your
spirit free. Be still as if
you had no soul.” These words come towards
the end of one of Kwang-tse’s stories
which, if I were asked, I
would say is my favorite. The Mists
of Chaos had spent much trouble trying to
come in contact with Chaos himself.
When he finally succeeded, he found
Chaos hopping about like a bird and
slapping his buttocks. He phrased
his question, which concerned the
nature of ultimate reality. Chaos
simply went on hopping and slapping his
buttocks and said, “I don’t know.
I don’t know.” On a second occasion,
the Mists of Chaos had at first just
as little satisfaction, but on
pressing Chaos, received the advice
I quoted. In gratitude,
he bowed ceremoniously, spoke
respectfully, and took his leave.

- John Cage

No comments: