Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vignettes #37


Banks have always meant organized crime to me.

I was at the age of 11-12, and my hero at that age was Jacques Cousteau. There was a series of books he had authored, each volume specialized on one maritime topic like sharks, whales, dolphins, etc., and I was collecting them. I had all volumes but one. This last edition to the series I wanted to buy, but was short by 12 German marks.

Then I remembered that I had a savings account that I never really used and exactly that amount was left on the account: 12 marks. So I went to the bank with my savings book, went to the counter and asked the lady that I would like to dissolve this account and have my money back.

She said she could certainly do that, but there was a fee of 10 marks to do so! She obviously noticed on the expression of my face that she was ripping off a child, so she added she'll see what she can do. Since the account was unused for quite a while there was some interest to be added, so in the end I did receive 6-7 marks instead of just 2 marks! I don't remember the amount exactly, but it was not enough to buy the book.

It's very much like you're lending someone 10 bucks, and when some day you ask for the money back, your friend tells you: OK, but I'll have to charge a fee for all the trouble I had with your money. But that's exactly the way banks make their money.

No comments: