Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vignettes #44


It was my first year after having moved to Germany, and I was in the 3rd grade of elementary school. On this particular day I had been telling friends about the microscope I had gotten as a birthday present. One kid in the class, I remember his name was Ulrich, was obviously a bit envious, and he butted in bragging about how much better the microscope was that he had.

He overdid it, though, and mentioned some technical detail that was impossibly exaggerated. I corrected him and got him embarrassed in front of all the other kids who had been listening. For the rest of the day Ulrich was extremely hostile and obviously ready for a fight, but luckily nothing serious happened.

When school was out we all left through the large back entrance. Stepping out the door I noticed my German grandfather standing there with his bike and obviously there waiting to pick me up, something he had never did before. Overjoyed I started running right to him, when somebody tripped me and I fell hard as I was in full flight.

When I got back to my senses and slowly got up, I saw that my grandfather had taken Ulrich onto his knee and he was giving him a thorough spanking with the complete school watching in fascination.

Later I heard that Ulrich's father was there, too, sitting in his car and waiting to pick him up as well. He had seen the full incident, so he gave Ulrich another full spanking as soon as he reached the car.

No comments: