Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dream Notes


I'm chatting with one of our supervisors at what seems to be a dinner party. I explain that I have made it a habit to post a short blog notice on every movie I have watched, I try to include a poster and maybe one or two images from the movie, a one-sentence synopsis and a comment in not more than two sentences, just like in Halliwell's Filmgoer's Guide.

Nevertheless, although there is vast information on the internet, it does happen that I get stuck finding a singular image for some cases, but I very much enjoy the search. The supervisor says he's glad I'm such a film buff and asks me to help him search for a certain German silent movie titled 'Dr. Hauff', a title he has been looking for information about for a long time.

I get up from the table, go to my bookshelf and pick out my copy of Halliwell. The movie isn't mentioned there, which was to be expected, I explain, so I search my library for the book about German stars of the silent age, which covers a lot of movie titles from that era. I can't find the book, but am surprised to notice that I have meanwhile set the books in my shelves in double rows so that behind every row of books visible there's another hidden row.

Postscriptum:

Of course, the movie 'Dr. Hauff' does not exist (I looked it up).

2 days later Ursula and I got a visit from Tanja and Simon, and we also talked about movies. At one point I had to look up something, so I got my copy of Halliwell's out from the shelves. Tanja remarked to Simon: "See, there are still people who look up things in books and don't use the internet for everything."

No comments: