Monday, March 22, 2010

Miniatures #18


Recently I watched the 3-hour-long documentary Die große Stille (Into Great Silence) that tries to emulate the everyday life of the silent order of Carthusian monks.

Therefore there's hardly a word spoken during the whole movie, although the monks do make a lot of noise without chatting. Since they are allowed to speak at a certain allotted amount of time, I think once a week for a short session, I was very much looking forward to hear what such men would be talking about after so much silence.

Since the movie is in itself a bit of a meditative experience my attention drifted off for a moment till I realized it had arrived at the monks' colloquy. They were obviously talking about cleanliness, and I heard one monk saying. "It's not that I forget to wash my hands, but that I forget to make them dirty."

No comments: