Saturday, March 13, 2010

R.I.P. Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse)


Mark Linkous, one of my personal musical heroes, commied suicide on March 6th, 2010, aged 47, only a year younger than myself...

Better known through his band's name, Sparklehorse, I came across his music first, when a German journalist recommended their album Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot among his list of 100 greatest albums of all time. I got the album and have to agree, it's still one of my all-time favourites, but I equally appreciate all of his work.

The news comes as quite a shock, since last year he collaborated with Danger Mouse and David Lynch on the beautiful and dark music/visual project Dark Night Of The Soul AND on a great experinmental music album with
Fennesz Further, the release of a proper new Sparklehorse was in the making.

You'll find his bio here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Linkous

and an eulogy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/mar/13/mark-linkous-sparklehorse

Sparklehorse - Sad & Beautiful world



Sparklehorse - Home Coming Queen



Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - Dark Night of the Soul - Little Girl



Sparklehorse + Fennesz - Goodnight Sweetheart

No comments: