Saturday, September 11, 2010

New Stuff: Stevie Wonder


In the 70s, when I started collecting records, I had a German dictionary on rock music ("Das Rock-Lexikon") which was my bible for quite a few years. I still browse through it from time to time. At the end of the book there was a list of 100 essential albums which I more or less tried to purchase. But for various reasons there are quite a few titles I never did buy. "Songs in the Key of Life" was one of them. Although I did like Stevie Wonder I assume that his later schlocky hits, especially "I just called to say I love you", probably made me shy away from the purchase. However, my pal Gerhard has always been telling me what a great album it is, and now reading Giles Smith's 'Lost in Music' with a chapter on Stevie Wonder, I finally decided to take the risk.

No comments: