Friday, November 12, 2010

William S. Burroughs: The Cat Inside



  Ginger plays Pantapon Rose, an old madame in a St. Louis sporting house on Westminster. She always shunted me into a curtianed alcove on the way out, lest I meet one of my father's friends on the way in. A hard, practical woman from a farm family in the Ozarks. Ginger was Ruski's old lady, always around. So I started feeding her and hoping she would go away. How American of me: "Who's that at the door? Give her some money. Send her away." Of course she din't go away. Instead, she dropped four brown-orange kittens on the back porch, all replicas of herself. I doubt if Ruski was involved. My friend Patricia Marvin managed to give them all away without any fuss - one of the advantages of living in a small town. You get to know friendly, helpful people.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

The kittens were sweet, they followed each other like ducks. I took them to my folks salvage yard during our annual sale. Made a large sign "Intelligent cats, Free"
They went one by one to good homes. They came when I called "cat, cat, cat."