Thursday, March 17, 2011

William S. Burroughs: The Cat Inside



  That night, for the first time in three years, Ruski jumped onto my bed purring and chittering, nuzzled against me and went to sleep thanking me for saving him.
  Next day I called Animal Control. "My cat was picked up and taken to the shelter and I want to know the circumstances."
  "The circumstances are that it's illegal to let your cat run free."
  "No, I mean how did my cat happen to be picked up?"
  It seems he was caught in an animal trap at Nineteenth and Barker, about two hundred yards from the back line of my property. Probably he had been shut in the box trap all night. No wonder he was a scared cat.
  At the time I didn't know about animal traps. I didn't know that cats could be picked up. Close. Very close. Suppose I had been away. Suppose... I don't want to. It hurts. Now all my cats wear rabies tags.

No comments: