Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vignettes #53


My late pal Martin was a very shy and closed person, but a good friend ever since our school days. We were a larger group of friends we shared interests in, cinema, music and many other things. In 1979 the movie Caligula had its theatrical release in Germany. It was already notorious for having amounts of sex and violence in it, so we all were eager to see it, but it had an 18 rating which means you must be of full age to be admitted. Some of us were not 18 yet including Martin, so it was just discussing schemes how we might get a way into the cinema. One evening we were again debating the possibilities, when Martin suddenly commented matter-of-factly: "You're talking about Caligula? Oh, I watched it last week." We were all dumbstruck, since he hadn't mentioned that before and we were also wondering how he got himself into the cinema. "Well," we wanted to know, "did it have as much sex and violence everybody was talking about?" "I guess so" he replied. "But I'm not really sure." "Why are you not sure, you were there, weren't you?" "Yes, I did see it." He explained. "But I forgot my glasses, so all I saw was moving silhouettes and colors."
I still haven't seen the movie to this day...

No comments: