Friday, July 1, 2011

William S. Burroughs: My Education. A Book of Dreams



So here P am in the Land of the Dead with Mikey Portman. We are sharing an apartment which consists of two rooms with a bathroom between them. Mikey's room is also provided with a sleeping porch. There are two beds side by side and touching each other, lumpy-looking mattresses, throw rugs, eiderdowns, cushions covered in tattered, frayed yellow and gold velvet. Looks like the madam's room in a whorehouse, lacking only an asthmatic Pekingnese. It seems an old German lady with tight lace collar and high-button, black shoes has been billeted on us for the night.
  Mikey is on the sleeping porch wrapped up in a pink blanket. I tell him he should let her sleep on one of the beds. After all, he can retire to the sleeping porch. And I have assurances she will not even remove her clothes.
  "No, I don't want her in here."
  "Well, you can stay on the porch. There are two beds."
  "I might want to sleep in here."
  No use. Death hasn't changed him a bit; the same selfish, self-centered, spoiled, petulant, weak Mikey Portman.
  Now I see a small black dog peeking out of the bathroom door, which is ajar...dog all black, shiny black...with a long pointed muzzle quivering like a dowser wand.
  "Where did that door dog come from? What is it doing here?"
  "Does it matter?" Distilled concentrate of petulant Portman.
  "Door man...door dog," I say.
  He doesn't answer. Obviously I will have to billet the old German lady in my room, which is a duplicate of his room except the beds are smaller.

No comments: