Friday, August 5, 2011

William S. Burroughs: My Education. A Book of Dreams



Out in the street I don't know how to find my way back. I have money for a cab, but I don't see any cabs and wouldn't in any case know where to tell him to go. I am looking for a place to have breakfast. If I could get to some familiar landmark. Is it Paris?...Land of the Dead, probably. Pass a crowded place on several levels like Le Drugstore, and there is a hotel restaurant. I see a small cafe and go in.
  Three people behing zinc counter about three feet long and two patrons in tiny booths with coffee. The people behind the counter look dead, a gray-green color, like "The Absinthe Drinkers." There are two men and one woman. I don't know whether to sit down in a booth or get coffee at the counter. There is a stool at the end of the counter. I sit down and the stool is wobbly. I finally try another stool, which also wobbles, and the people behind the counter start laughing, and I walk out.
  I see a man in a gray suit waiting by an orange sign I figure I must be a treetcar stop but I didn't know how to ask him for directions, not beingsure of where I want to go. There is a hotel and another stop I need to make. Then I meet Brion Gysin and he says there is a hall in the vicinity where Allen and Huncke will read or have read. Then he leads the way down a long street...faster and faster. I see a clock: 6:10. We are moving always faster...now a blur of red painting, red faces from Renoir, red scarves, red geraniums...faster and faster...a blur of red...

No comments: