Saturday, September 3, 2011

Songs in the key of my life: Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry



Brenda Lee's 'I'm Sorry is probably the first song I consciously considered as a favourite song. It was sometime in the mid 60s, when I found my Dad's collection of 45s and a small protable record player.
There were mayeb about 30 or 40 singles, a nice little stack, and I soon learnt how to operate the record player by myself. Although I did listen to all the records, A and B sides, the only artist I can fully remember is Brenda Lee. (I'm quite certain there was some Elvis Presly there, but he never really made a great impression on me).  Both her songs, 'I'm Sorry' and 'Sweet Nothin's' made a huge impression on me. Especially, 'I'm Sorry' was probably the first song I intently listened to concerning composition and lyrics. To me as a young child it was the perfect musical expression of regret, and I imagined the singer to be the most beautiful woman in the world, solely based on her singing, since none of those singles had any picture sleeves. Little did I knowthat the song was actually recorded, when Brenda Lee was 15 years old, and held back for publication, because it was thought that nobody could believe that such a young teenager could sing such a heartfelt song of broken love. They were wrong, of course...


No comments: