Sunday, September 25, 2011

Songs in the key of my life: Broadcast - Black Cat



On MySpace I had a pal, Nayfo (real name: Ugo), a higly talented musician in London, with whom I discussed music a lot. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him for quite a while. He once recommended the band Broadcast (actually a duo, James Cargill and Trish Keenan), who created very innovative electronic pop music and were known for their perfectionism in the studio. I checked them out, of course, and instantly fell in love with 'Black Cat', a title from their album 'Tender Buttons'. It is a lovely simple and catchy (and quirky) tune ('curiouser and curiouse') and pops up in my head every so often. Naturally I got all their albums and was never disappounted. Broadcast were not just an obscure band known by insiders. Their last album 'Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age' was announced best album of the year 2009 by the music magazine The Wire (in my opinion the best music mag there is). It's doubtful, though, that there will be more music under the band name. Tragically, lead singer Trish Keenan died of the swine flu on 14 January 2011 at the age of 42. 'Black Cat' has become their swan song to me, the line 'Awkwardness happening to someone you love' can bring tears to my eyes.

No comments: