Saturday, October 15, 2011

Songs in the key of my life: Joy Division - Komakino



I'm ashamed to admit that I came across Joy Divison much too late. That is: I did know about the band and I was intending to look into their music some time later, but Ian Curtis commited suicide and that was the end of the band named Joy Division (the remaining members continued as the immensely successful New Order). In 1980 the single 'Komakino' was released posthumously as a 7" flexi disc limited to 10,000 copies and given away free in selected record shops and it was introduced on that Bavarian radio show I have already mentioned so often. The song is quite unusual compared to the band's previous releases, it is driven by a more tribal beat and appears like as if mechanically driven, of course the result of the band's impeccable timing. Still, it undoubtedly couldn't be mistaken that this is any other band than Joy Division, and this particular last title might have been directing to what they would be doing in the future. This song led me to purchase all of their previous music, and I can easily say Joy Division is one of the best and most important bands in rock history. There is not a single song by them that is less than perfect.

No comments: