Saturday, February 23, 2013

Songs in the key of my life: John Cale - Sabotage


My German Rock-Lexikon set John Cale's album Paris 1919 on their list of the 100 most important albums in rock music. I got the album and my disappointment was immense: I expected a more aggressive effort from one the Velvet Underground's founders, but this was in my ears a very mellifluous work. This was in the 70s, and although I eventually did find appreciation for this album much later, I dismissed John Cale for the time being. However, a few years later, 1979 actually, one of my favourite radio jockeys, played Sabotage on his show, and this song really knocked me off my feet. Here you had a full force aggreesive song with messy cacophonous guitar lines and a militant message ("Read and destroy everything you read in the press Read and destroy everything you read in books"). In comparison most contemporary punk songs sounded lame. It took me decades to get the album on cd, but I had it on cassette, copied directly from that radio show. I've heard it numerous times, and for years it was also useful for scaring guests away.


No comments: