Monday, June 2, 2014

Exhibition Hans Richter





Hans Richter is well known to me as a revolutinary film maker; I used to give classes analyzing his films in my film club days, and we often screened his works. I didn't care much about his paintings, and the Berlin exhibition in the Martin-Gropius-Bau didn't change my mind on that aspect, although he has undoubtedly relavance within the art history of the 20th century as well, and I do like some of his collages from the Dada era. His films still compel much more and these were well represented in the exhibition.
A highlight is a documentary film screened nonstop at the show revealing his many friendships and collaboartions with almost everybody significant in the art world of the last century. His life story seems to have been adventerous, and wherever he went fleeing the Third Reich, he somehow managed to find welcome (compared to some of his fellow artists with a more tragic fate). He also was immensely productive till his death at a high age.

No comments: