Monday, August 4, 2014

Rarely Heard: God - Love



God are personally important to me, since I saw them live in London in the late 80s and I was incredibly impressed. They were playing as support for Whitehouse, but left an even more memorable impression than the top act did (there's also a story to them that I will post some day as vignette). God were a project by Kevin Martin who later received a lot of critical acclaim as The Bug. Their extremely loud sound can be compared with that of the Swans with a wild free jazz brass section. In that particular concert they consisted of 9 musicians and they really knew how to raise hell on stage. Wikipedia: "The groups abrasive marriage of ambient, dub, free jazz and noise rock music garnered respect from their peers such as Bill Laswell, Ministry, My Bloody Valentine, J. G. Thirlwell and  John Zorn" (who participates on their first studio album Possession).

No comments: