Saturday, August 9, 2014

Rarely Heard: Little Annie - Strange Love



Last year I attended with my pals as usual the Swans concert in Munich. I did know that the Italian band Larsen (who I'll introduce in a later entry) would be support, but when we arrived they were announced together with the singer Little Annie. It was a wonderful surprise and a great concert! My pal Gerhard and I became instant fans (and everybody I've been playing her songs to), and I've started collecting her albums and trying to purchase her out-of-print autobiography You Can't Sing The Blues While Drinking Milk. She's a first class chanteuse and painter, poet, writer, performing and recording artist, actress and has a long, illustrious and eclectic recording career since the 70s. Besides lots of collaborations (Wolfgang Press, Crass, the ON-U Sound stable, Paul Oakenfold, Kid Congo Powers, Current 93, Nurse With Wound, the late Bim Sherman, Coil, Fini Tribe, Collapsed Lung, Larsen, Swans, and many fine others) she has released a string of wonderful albums. Her Song Strange Love may be familiar to some as it was used as the soundtrack for Levi's "Dangerous Liaisons" advertising campaign in 2007, garnering several awards, including the Cannes Lion, but I assume that it has been rarely heard in its entirety. Over time I'll be including more songs from her extensive oeuvre.

No comments: