Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rarely Heard: Van Dyke Parks - The All Golden



In the 1970s I used the German book Rocklexikon (Rock Encyclopedia) as my reference to rock music. They had a list of 100 albums they considered essential for any serious record collection, and I loosely bought those recommendations. Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle from 1968 was one of them. At the time I was quite disappointed and questioned the idea that this is a rock album. Decades later I can appreciate his weird work. Allmusic.com: "In a field where the term "genius" is handed out freely, Van Dyke Parks is the real article. As a session musician, composer, arranger, lyricist, and singer, he's contributed significantly to several decades' worth of inimitable masterpieces credited to other artists, as well as generating two or three masterpieces of his own".

No comments: