Monday, October 20, 2014

Rarely Heard: Pere Ubu - Folly of Youth



I'd have so much to say about Pere Ubu, the legendary "avantgarage" (their own term) band from Cincinnati, Ohio formed in 1975; I've been a fan from the late 70s on, when they released their first masterpiece album, The Modern Dance. And I see them nearly every year perform to a minuscule audience (at least in Munich it's always a small audience). There's much online to read about them so I'll stick to the singer David Thomas' own words: ""Pere Ubu is not now nor has it ever been a viable commercial venture. We won't sleep on floors, we won't tour endlessly and we're embarrassed by self-promotion. Add to that a laissez fair attitude to the mechanics of career advancement and a demanding artistic agenda and you've got a recipe for real failure. That has been our one significant success to this date: we are the longest-lasting, most disastrous commercial outfit to ever appear in rock 'n' roll. No one can come close to matching our loss to longevity ratio." And they're one of the best rock bands of all time. I could pick nearly any song, but there isn't much to be found online. Folly of Youth is one of my favourites, though. And I'll be posting more over time.

No comments: