Saturday, January 10, 2015

Rarely Heard: Miranda Sex Garden - Peep Show



I came across Miranda Sex Garden when their album Fairytales of Slavery was released in 1994 and I was selling it at my cinema/record store I was running at the time. I fell in love with their music. The all-female group had started off as madrigal singers, and their first record, aptly titled Madra, consisted of songs based on traditional English verse and sung completely a cappella. Eventually,"the sound evolved into a blend of their madrigal-styled vocals with sounds reminiscent of gothic rock, darkwave, ethereal wave, and industrial music. Their sound became increasingly dark and sophisticated over the years. Around the time of their third album, Fairytales of Slavery, they said they wanted to create music that evoked a "seductive garden of earthly delights, full of colour and chaos." (Wikipedia). Sadly, they haven't produced a new album since 2000.

No comments: