Sunday, January 11, 2015

Vignettes #66


It is at times astounding how you are perceived by other people without being aware of it. I take the bus to work, a 15-minute ride each way. I use this time to read whatever book I'm currently interested in. I manage about 10 pages per ride, that makes 20 pages a day. At home and elsewhere I read a lot as well, but usually others things, magazines, online reviews, etc. Most passengers don't read; a lot of them, especially the younger ones, fiddle around with their phones and music players.
Of course, I've been taking the very same bus for years, but don't really take notice of my surroundings. On one occasion I missed my bus stop to get off, because I was so immersed in my book. But the bus driver halted for me again and let me out.
Sometimes I'm too tired to read, so I just sit there and enjoy my daydreams. On such a day an elderly man came over to my seat and said: "Excuse me, may I ask: why aren't you reading today?"
More often I'm asked about what I'm reading and maybe it'll produce a conversation, although I'd rather go on reading.
And now, just recently, I have noticed on my daily bus ride: more and more people are reading books!

No comments: