Monday, February 16, 2015

Rarely Heard: Dälek - Spiritual Healing



"Newark, NJ's Dälek undermine the simplistic gloss of mainstream hip-hop with gritty, complex underground hip-hop that at once clicks and whirs like some electronica head trip; layers on environmental ambience; and assaults the listener with aggressive, intelligent rhymes." (Allmusic.com)
While I'm not much of a hip-hop fan at all, I do find some truly great experimentalists that are worh checking out. Dälek are not the only ones I found (I'll be introducing other outfits over time), but one of the first. And when noise is involved, I'm always into it:
"The jarring industrial noise that drives the opening "Spiritual Healing" is your first clue that Dälek is coming from a whole 'nother frame of reference, with producer Oktopus' grinding grooves providing a dense, dark backdrop for some furiously inventive mike work." (Allmusic.com)

No comments: