Saturday, March 21, 2015

Just so thoughts (Claude Chabrol)


Only recently I decided to watch Claude Chabrol's earliest three movies, since I'm not sure whether I have ever seen them before (although in the 70s I did see a nearly complete retrospective). To do so I need to purchase them on DVD, so I did some research about German editions.
It's a popular cliche about German culture that it's 'deep' and 'heavy' and 'dark', and I do enjoy the tweets by @NeinQuarterly and @WernerTwertzog that lovingly and profoundly mock Teutonic culture.
However, cliches always do have a hint of truth in them, and I came to think about that when I found out the German release titles for Claude Chabrol's movies. German distributors in general invent often ridiculous titles and usually are not translations of the original titles. Obviously, there's a notion that the German audience must be specifically addressed in order to be able to attract their intention.

So here they are:
  
Le beau Serge (1958) ----------> Die Enttäuschten ("The Disappointed")

Les cousins (1959) -------------> Schrei, wenn du kannst ("Scream, if you can")

Les bonnes femmes (1960) ---> Die Unbefriedigten ("The Unsatisfied")
 

No comments: