Sunday, March 15, 2015

Vignettes #68

Recently in conversation Ursula and I were discussing the topic of filming locations, and if we had visited such a location, because we had seen it in a movie, or even experienced a filming situation before. We were talking about any place in general, but came upon London specifically. Ursula mentioned that she experienced the filming of the ape escape scene for "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes" at the Albert memorial in Kensington Gardens, while she was on visit there together with her sister and a friend. This must have been in 1983, since the movie was first released in early 1984. 

Coincidentally, I myself experienced the filming of the same scene, when I was on my annual visit to London with my pals. We didn't see the actual filming - we probably missed that by a few minutes - but all the equipment, props and some costumed actors were still there at the memorial, in the park and around the Royal Albert Hall and down to the Natural History Museum.

Ursula and I came together later in 1990. In 1983 we didn't know each other yet, but we obviously were close and our ways may have even crossed!

No comments: