Saturday, April 18, 2009

Indeterminacy 55



There’s a street in Stony Point in a
lowland near the river where a number of
species of mushrooms grow abundantly.
I visit this street often.
A few years ago in May I found
the morel there, a choice mushroom
which is rare around Rockland County.
I was delighted.
None of the people living on this street
ever talk to me while I’m collecting
mushrooms. Sometimes children
come over and kick at them before I
get to them. Well,
the year after I found the
morel, I went back in May
expecting to find it again, only
to discover that a cinder-block house
had been put up where the mushroom had
been growing. As I looked
at the changed land, all the
people in the neighborhood came out on
their porches. One of
them said, “Ha, ha!
Your mushrooms are gone.”

- John Cage

No comments: