Sunday, September 4, 2011

Songs in the key of my life: Wings - Silly Love Songs



After emigrating to Germany in 1971 I was terribly homesick for the States and I especially missed the music, since the German mainstream pop is probably one of the worst kinds of music on earth (I still had to discover German rock music). So I spent most of the 70s listening to the American billboard charts on the American Forces radio (AFN) which was broadcast throughout the country. A lot of songs from that radio will be popping up on this list. Despite the difference in quality both American and German pop music had one thing in common: love songs. Even for a badly love-torn teenager the abundance of these songs got to be too much over time, and I therefore applauded any song with a different topic or a new take on the love theme. 'Silly Love Songs' was bit like that, at once agreeing that they're silly, but then kind of defending them ("and what's wrong with that?") and presenting itself as a another one of those silly songs. I liked the angle Paul McCartney took and the song sounded like an update of what the Beatles might be playing if they still existed. I feel a bit guilty, since this song is not really that sophistacted, but it had some great musical touches, and Allmusic.com agrees it's "one of his [McCartney's] most accomplished and playful songs". 'Wings at the Speed of Sound' is probably the first album I bought on my own money, to my defense the other ones were Bob Dylan's 'Greatest Hits Vol. 2' and Ornette Coleman's 'Science Fiction'. I still like to listen to 'Silly Love Songs' once in a while, just not too often.


No comments: