Thursday, September 2, 2010

William S. Burroughs: The Cat Inside


(Bengal Tiger hunting by the English upper-class in British India in 1903. This photo shows Lord Curzon, the viceroy of India, posing with his wife, an American heiress to millions, near Hyderabad in April 1902 with his bag. He was an excellent hunter who was particularly fond of tiger hunting.)

An English cat hater of the upper classes cinfided to me that he had trained a dog to break a cat's back with one shake. And I rememberhe caught sight of a cat at a party and snarled out through the long yellow horse teeth that crowded out his mouth, "Nasty stinking little beast!" I was impressed by his class at the time and knew nothing of cats. Now I would get up from my chair and say, "Pawdon me, old thing, if I toddle along, but there's a nasty stinking big beast here."

No comments: