Saturday, September 24, 2011

Songs in the key of my life: Dinosaur Jr. - Little Fury Things


Dinosaur Jr. are one of my all-time favourite bands - and luckily they have re-united recently and are still releasing great albums. In the late 80s they re-establised the lead guitar as the central instrument in alternative rock combining Sonic Youth's noise with more conventional songs and a touch of Neil Young, or like Allmusic.com says: "they injected late-'80s alternative rock with monumental levels of pure guitar noise." 'Little Fury Things' is the first song on their album 'You're Living All Over Me' and it goes off with a bang! In fact the first 3 songs go on with the same immense power, before some more slower titles are played. In concert Dinosaur Jr. were quite overwhelming, I got to see them once in Munich at the time the album came out. A still little-known band called My Bloody Valentine were support, soon to be another one of my favourites! We arrived early at the concert hall, actually a small pub in a more suburban part of the city, and J Mascis was standing around and asked me where to go to get something to eat. Unfortunately I had no idea, the area was surrounded by depressing apartment complexes, but no stores or shops besides this pub...
'Little Fury Things' has remained something like a personal anthem for me.

No comments: