Saturday, June 9, 2012

Songs in the key of my life: Massive Attack - Teardrop


There are always certain melodies that come back to my mind very often, and this song is one of the most frequent. For many years I had known the tune very well, but could not find out where I had it from. Only recently had I caught the idea that it might be by Tricky, but didn't find the song on his albums. I thought it somehow unlikely to be by Massive Attack, but I went through all their albums title by title till I found 'Teardrop' on their album 'Mezzanine'. Now it all fits together: the singer is Elizabeth Fraser whose voice is so well-known from This Mortal Coil's interpretation of Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' and her voice is just as heavenly-otherwordly on this song. Allmusic.com say:  "The blend of earthy with ethereal shouldn't work at all", but to me that is quite a good description of trip hop in itself. Needless to say that it's a bit embarassing I hadn't listened to this particular album in 10 year...


Massive Attack - Teardrop von blackcandy

No comments: