Thursday, July 25, 2013

Just so thoughts (habits)


It is sometimes amazing to learn that you have adopted certain habits you're not even aware of. Recently a good friend of mine pointed out how fascinated she is to watch me eating a meal.
The German way of eating is to have the fork in your left hand, the knife in your right. Whatever it is you're having, you cut off a singular piece, then bring it to your mouth with the fork from the left, then go on to cut the next. The American way is different: you cut off several pieces, then lay down the knife, switch the fork to your right hand and then proceed to eat the cut pieces.
I'm an American who emigrated as a child to Germany in 1971 and have been living here ever since. I was certain that I had fully adopted the German habit of eating. However, my friend pointed out to me that I actually cut a singular piece, switch American-style to the fork to eat it, then switch  back again to cut the next piece. It's basically the American way, but with me it's one piece at a time. I had never noticed this, but checked on myself and it's actually true...

No comments: