Monday, January 5, 2015

Rarely Heard: Japancakes -Elephants



I came across Athens, GA-based Japancakes, when I heard that they had released an album covering the entirety of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, one of my all-time top 10 records! Of course I had to purchase it, and the result is fascinating as it doesn't simply cover the songs, but rather devoutly is a hommage to the great band, although some interpretations slide dangerously on the edge to Easy Listening. Japancakes "who in 1997 had the idea of organizing a group of ten musicians to take the stage without any previous rehearsals all for the sake of playing a single "D" chord for 45 minutes" (Allmusic.com) must be great fans, since that's exactly how My Bloody Valentine had started performing as well. However, on their albums Japancakes aren't heavy with drones and noise but rather produce subtle easy-going hypnotic instrumentals - again quite easy on the ear. Elephants is from their first album If I Could See Dallas.

No comments: