Friday, June 5, 2009

The Dark Knight (2008)



This time the Caped Crusader is confronted with his arch enemy, The Joker, and the conflict threatens not only his friends and loved ones but the whole Gotham City as well.

Yeah, it took me this long to finally see the movie, thanks to Lovefilm's irrational policies. The DVD copy I got was pretty bad.

I do not think that The Dark Knight is that much better than Batman Begins, both are equally excellent as adaptations of the Batman story. However, Heath Ledger as the Joker has really managed to create this character into a truly disturbing menacing villain. His part alone lifts this movie above anything previous Batman adaptations have achieved.

The Joker (to Batman): "“Don’t talk like one of them, you’re not! Even if you’d like to be. To them, you’re just a freak–like me. They need you right now. When they don’t…they’ll cast you out. Like a leper. See, their morals, their code: it’s a bad joke. They’re dropped at the first sign of trouble. They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. You’ll see, when the chips are down these civilized people will eat each other.”

"You… you just couldn’t let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptable aren’t you. You won’t kill me because of some misplaced sense of self-rightousness. And I won’t kill you because…you’re just too much fun. I get the feeling that you and I are destined to do this forever."

No comments: