Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Song a Day

Slowdive - Losing Today

Last show ever at Lee's Palace, Toronto, 21st May 1994

Sometimes I'm sceptical about the term shoegaze. First of all, bands like Sonic Youth were performing 'shoegaze' sytle (standing on one spot and staring at their feet) long before the genre got its moniker. And then I find that My Bloody Valentine, the most influential shoegaze band, was about noise.

However, most shoegaze bands tend to produce quite mellifluous music, and I assume it's Slowdive's influence. Nevertheless, Slowdive's music has a hypnotizing quality to it, and I assume live and loud it was be just as angelic as My Bloody Valentine's stuff.



In a corner
She sits and waits
She's waiting for
Her heart to break

It says it all

Don't lose today

No comments: