Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Rarely Heard: The Residents - Hello Skinny


The Residents - Hello Skinny von orchardmusic

The Residents are another one of the bands that I have been a fan of for most of my life. My enthusiasm was awoken in the late 70s by their album The Third Reich'N'Roll which consists of two long 'compositions', each one side of an LP long, and is a congenial parody of rock music up to that time. I perceived the Residents whose four members have managed to remain anonymous to this day to be creative amateurs who reinvent playing music on their own terms and sound as strange and unusual than hardly any other band. Around 1980 they announced they'd never perform live again (after a few singular concerts), but then went on a supposedly one-time world tour which I didn't miss. Since then I've seen them 5 times in concert (last time 2008 in New York). Their concerts - the band always in some kind of disguise - are great entertaining events of musical theater. There would be a lot to tell about them, and in time I'll write more, since they certainly will appear as regulars on my list.

No comments: