Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Rarely Heard: Iannis Xenakis - Jonchaies



About 30 years ago I bought an Iannis Xenakis LP that pretty much blew my mind: although the compostion was played by a classical orchestra, it sounded like industrial music and seemed to me could have been from a band like S.P.K. or Whitehouse. A friend convinced me to sell him the album, and I could get it from the same source again. But the problem was: it was no longer available. To this day I can't remember which of Xenakis' works it had been, but some day I'll find it. Wikipedia: "Xenakis pioneered the use of mathematical models in music such as applications of set theory, stochastic processes and game theory and was also an important influence on the development of electronic and computer music. He integrated music with architecture, designing music for pre-existing spaces, and designing spaces to be integrated with specific music compositions and performances."

No comments: